In this article we will learn how can Enable HYPER-V on Windows 10.HYPER-V is very intresting technology and can help Power users, IT, System Administrators that wants to keep different versions of OS Windows or Linux for testing puproses and not only. In the past i wrote articles for HYPER-V in Windows 8.1 and how can enable it. But today i have to saw you new things for the installation of HYPER-V in Windows 10 like how can enable it with Powershell command instead of GUI. HYPER-V in Windows 10 include new functionalities like to assign RAM in the Virtual Machine while it's running or add/remove network adapter. It worth it to take a look and test the new functionalities and how can use it in a production enviroment. If you need more details for changes new features you can visit https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/about/whats_new
Requirements for HYPER-V in Windows 10.
Before installing HYPER-V in Windows 10 you must ensure that you have Windows 10 Enterpirse , Professional or Education Edition. You must have install 64bit version of Windows 10 and the PC/Laptop recommended to has 4 GB RAM for better perfomance. Of course if you want more than one Virtual Machine to run at the same time then it's sure that you must install more than 4 GB RAM in your physical PC or Laptop.
Verify Hardware Compatibility for HYPER-V in Windows 10
In order to verify if your hardware is compatible with HYPER-V technology open a command prompt and run the following command
If the Hardware is compatible yo must see in HYPER-V Requirements the following:
Installing HYPER-V in Windows 10
- Right Click in the Start Button and select Programm and Features.
- Click on Turn Windows Features On or Off.
- Find and check HYPER-V, click OK.
- After finish maybe request to Restart the PC. Click Restart Now.
- When login type in search hyperv and click in HYPER-V Manager to open it.
- Now you can start and create new Virtual Machines.
Enable HYPER-V with PowerShell
If you are command guy you can enable HYPER-V Feature from PowerShell
- Type in Search powershell.
- Right click in Powershell and select Run as Administrator
- Type the command to find the hyper-v feature name
Get-WindowsOptionalFeatures - Online
- Type the command to enable Hyper-v
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature - Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V -All
Do you have try to enable HYPER-V in your Laptop/PC and create a new Virtual Machine? Share your thoughts or your problems in the comments below.
Have a nice weekend.
See you next Friday!!