How to Enable HYPER-V Enhanced Session Mode
HYPER-V in Windows Server 2012 has lot changes. One of them is Enhanced Session Mode. All we know that Virtual Machines don't provide any physical console that you can interact with like a physical computer.
From my experience lot of times i need to copy/paste files from USB Disk in the Virtual Machibe and i must copy-paste in network location like a User folder, connect Remotely in Virtual Machine or from HYPER-V Host Console and open network location to copy/paste the file or folder.
With Enhanced Session Mode you can have access from the Virtual Machine in Local Devices of HYPER-V Host. With more details Enhance Session Mode allow local resources to redirected to virtual machine without need network connection. To be more specific can redirect.
- Rich display
- USB devices
- Plug and play devices
- Smart cards
Let's Start to explain how can enable and use the Enhance Session Mode in Windows Server 2012.
- Login in HYPER-V Host and open HYPER-V Manager
- Click in HYPER-V Settings from the right side.
- Click in Enhance Session Mode from the left side.
- Tick in Use Enhanced Session Mode. Click OK.
- Now connect in one of your Virtual Machines and will see a small Window to give you the option for Display configuration. Select the Dispaly configuration that prefer and click in Show Options.
- Click in Tab Local Resurces.
- Redirect any device that you want in the Virtual Machine.
- In this example i have plug-in a USB Hard Disk in Physical Server. So click in More .
- Expand the Drivers and tick in New Volume (E) which is the USB Hard Disk.
- Click OK and Connect
- Login in the Virtual Machine and when open This PC i can see my USB Hard Diksk.
Enhance Session Mode it's very easy to enable it. To be honest i found this option last months and has help me a lot in different tasks like copy/paste big files.
If you have any issue to enable Enhanced Session Mode you can discuss it in our commented system and help you to resolve it.
Have a nice weekend !!!