One of the Best Practices in HYPER-V Host is to don't connect direct in the Server but use Remote Server Administrative Tools to manage the Servers. Today i will explain how can Manage HYPER-V Host remotely from your Workstation/Laptop.
Before proceed to install HYPER-V Management Tools you must consider that you can't connect remotelty from a Workstation/Laptop with HYPER-V Management Tools if the server has Windows Server 2012 and the Workstation/Laptop has Windows 7.
In general you can't use older Windows to connect with HYPER-V Manager in most recent version of Windows OS. But the opposite you can do it
Firewall Ports that required to connect remotely in Hyper-v Manager
Before start to enable Hyperv Manager in the Workstation/Laptop you must open the Port tcp/135 in your Firewall if it's turn on
Enable Hyper-v Manager
After open the required Ports in Firewall then it's time to enable Hyper-v Manager in Workstation/Laptop or another Windows Server.
- Right click in Start - - - > Control Panel
- Select Programs
- Click Turn Windows Features on or off
- Expand HYPER-V
- Tick HYPER-V Management Tools
- Click OK.
- Wait to enable the feature. and click Close
Connect Remotely with Hyper-v Manager
After enable successfull Hyper-v Manager it's time to connect in Hyper-v Host Remotely and Manage all the Virtual Machines.
- Now go again in Control Panel.
- Select System & Security and click Administrative Tools
- Find and click in HYPER-V Manager
- From the left side right click in Hyper-v Manager and select Connect to Server.
- Type the Server Name and click OK.
- As you can see i have connect with HYPER-V Host and can see all the Virtual Machines.
- Now i can manage Virtual Machines and Hyper-v Settings from my Workstation without need to connect direct in Hyper-v Host
It's very easy without complexity and you can do it in 5 minutes.
The only thing that you must consider is that you can't connect with HYPER-V Manager remotely in Windows Server with earlier version of your Workstation/Laptop.
Let's try it and start to manage your HYPER-V Host from your Laptop.
Are you experience any issue write in our commented system or send us an email in firstname.lastname@example.org