As IT Pro one of the most critical tasks is the Backups that must be monitoring every day and be sure that can use it when will be needed. Usually Backup Servers don't need lot of changes.
But sometimes maybe requested to do a migration , change Computernames and other tasks that will be cause errors in Backups if you aren't very carefully.
Today i wil describe step by step how can change Computername without cause any issue in Veeam Backup & Replication.
If you are using Veeam Backup & Replication you will not be able to login in Veeam Backup & Replication Console when change Computername of Veeam Backup Server.
The error will be the following
But what cause this error ?
The error created because some entries in registry of Veeam not updated when change the Coputername of Veeam Backup Server. So when try to open the Console can't find the Sql Server because find to search the old computername.
What you must do to resolve this error?
- Open cmd and type regedit
- Find the following entries and change the computer name with the new one.
- For \\HKLM\Software\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication change the SqlServerName with new one
- For \\HKLM\Software\VeeaM\Veeam Backup Catalog\ change the CatalogSharedFolderPath with the new one
- Do a restart of the Server and now you can open Veeam Backup & Replication without errors .
Simple solution that can do it in 5 minutes but you must know how can proceed.
If you are using Veeam write your experience or problems that maybe counter in our commented system to share it with other IT Pro.
If you are interesting for more articles related with Backups and Virtualization you can find it in Virtualization Category of our Blog.
Are you interesting for other category? Take a look and decide what do you want