How to use HYPER-V Manager - Part 2
After Installing Hyper-V it's time to start play , test and learn. Today i will discuss with details how can use HYPER-V Manager which is the management area of HYPER-V. You will see that from here start to build your enviroment in HYPER-V BUT also HYPER-V Management is the area that will start all the troubles if you aren't careful and you aren't know what exactly want to do.
Remember now you are in Virtualization World and with wrong configuration can bring down all your enviroment.
It's prefer to create a small Lab , Install HYPER-V as discuss in previous article and start to play.
In your Lab you have the ability to do errors and understand exactly what you are doing without take offline your production enviroment.
So let's stop the bla,bla,bla and start to explain.
Are you agree?
- After complete the HYPER-V installation must be restart the Server
- Log in to the Server after restart and open Server Manager
- Click in Tools and HYPER-V Manager
- This is the Management area of the HYPER-V.
- If you aren't use powershell from here you will do all the tasks related with HYPER-V and Virtual Machine's management
- Some of the tasks are Create,Delete,Configure Virtual Machines, Create Virtual Switches, Configure default paths and more ...
Parts of the HYPER-V Manager
Hyper-v Manager is the area that will use for every management tasks If you aren't use powershel related with HYPER-V and Virtual Machines.
When we say management tasks we mean Create,Delete,Configure Virtual Machines, Create Virtual Switches, Configure default paths and more ...
Now let's take a look in all parts of HYPER-V Manager
- In the left side you can see the HYPER-V Host which is the Physical Server.
- Here you can connect more HYPER-V Hosts if you have more than one in your enviroment.
- In the middle you can see the area with all the Virtual Machines and some details like State, CPU , Memory, Status.
- Below of the Virtual Machines Area exist a smal area which indicates if exist any Checkpoint for the Virtual Machine that you have select.
- By default this area is Collapse.
- From the right side you can see a small arrow. Click on it to expand and find any detail for the Virtual Machines Checkpoints .
- Below of the Checkpoints Area you can find advance details for every selected Virtual Machine.
- Include 3 Tabs. Summary , Memory , Networking.
- These details you can help you to find quick useful info like Generation , Integration Services Version , Memory Status , Network Adapter Status and Ip Address.
- Last we have the right side which divided into 2 parts.
- The first part we can say that is a toolbar or a menu with all the configuration options for the HYPER-V Host
- The second part include all the options related with the Virtual Machines.
These are all the parts of the HYPER-V Manager Console.
I hope to understand how HYPER-V Manager divided and learn to find easy what you want to do.
How to use HYPER-V Manager Remotely
Microsoft recommends for every role to use Remote Server Administration Tools to manage Roles of a Server instead of connect direct in the Server.
It has some difference how can install the HYPER-V Management Tools for HYPER-V between Desktop Operating System and Server Operating System.
Below you can find step by step how can install.
Enable Remote Managment tools for HYPER-V on Desktop Operating Systems
HYPER-V Managament Tools can install only in Desktop Operating System which support HYPER-V.
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
The steps to install the HYPER--V Management Tools are the same in both Operating System.
- In Windows 8.1 right click in Start and select Control Panel
- In Windows 10 click in Start and select Control Panel
- Click in Programm and Features
- Expand HYPER-V and tick in HYPER-V Management Tools
- Wait to finish the installation
- Now go back in Control Panel
- Click in Administration Tools and you can find the HYPER-V Manager
Enable Remote Managment tools for HYPER-V on Server Operating Systems
If you want to install HYPER-V Manageen Tools in Windows Server 2012/R2 you must proceed with more steps.
This is the first Session of HYPER-V Training and explain what you need and how can install HYPER-V in your Laptop/Workstation or in Windows Server 2012 R2.
It's time to do your practice until the next article of HYPER-V Training which will go deeper .