Manage HYPER-V Integration Services with Powershell
In previous article i explain how can manage HYPER-V Integrations Services from HYPER-V Manager or Guest(OS). For those that use Server Core Installation or they are fan of PowerShell you can manage HYPER-V Integration Services from PowerShell. Today i will explain all the necessary steps to manage the Integration Services thourgh Powershell. As explain in previous explain HYPER-V Integration Services are services that allow communication between virtual machine and HYPER-V host. So you must keep up to date to prevent issues of communication betwee them.
So Let's start
Manage Integration Services with Powershell
Before start to manage let's be clear what modules we can use from PowerShell for Integration Services.
- Open Powershell as Administrator
- Run the command
Get-Command –Module Hyper-V -Name *integration*
Now i will explain how can use these modules with the following examples in daily tasks.
- Let's output a list with the Integration Services from specific Virtual Machine
Get-VMIntegrationService -VMName "WIN2012-DC"
- Let's output a list with status of Integration Services for all Virtual Machines in HYPER-V Host
Get-VMIntegrationService -VMName *
- Integration Services can also be enable or disable from Powershell by running the following commands. Let's try to Disable Integration Service Shutdown from a Virtual Machine.
Disable-VMIntegrationservice -name Shutdown -vmname "win2008r2dc"
- After Disable the Shutdown Integration Service i will try to shutdown the Virtual Machine from HYPER-V Manager. Take a look what happened.
- Let's try to enable again the Integration Service.
Enable-VMIntegrationservice -name Shutdown -vmname "win2008r2dc"
Manage Integration Services from Guest (OS)
If you would like to take a look where can found the Integration Services or manage the Integration Services you can run the Powershell command from Guest(OS) to return a list with all Integration Services
Get-Service -Name vm*
With the commands Start-Service and Stop-Service you can Stop or Start the Services like
Check Version of Integration Services
If you don't know what version of Integration Services run your Virtual Machines take a look how can found it.
- Open Powershell as Administrator.
- Run the following command and you have individual for every machine the Version of Integration Services.
Get-VM | ft Name, IntegrationServicesVersion
If you would like to read more details like where can found Integration Services files for installation OR update and how can manage Integration Services in Linux you can read now my previous articles Manage HYPER-V Integration Services
I try to cover most of the Integration Services to help you and learn how can manage. If you have any question you can ask through our commented system. Share your question or any other info that you have related with Integration Services.
Have a nice weekend!