Companies with 2,3 Server in HYPER-V it's very easy to manage and you don't need any advance configuration for the infrastructure of HYPER-V.
What about for middle and enterprise companies which have hundred of Virtual Servers in HYPER-V?
If you are working in these companies then you know that the infrastrustrure of HYPER-V must be met specific criteria to avoid perfomance issues and more importance problems.
Today i would like to describe how can create Virtual Network Adapters in HYPER-V and pass specific traffic from there.
The following instructions can be apply in HYPER-V Failover Clustering and the HYPER-V Host must has at least 2 Physical Network Interfaces.
Let's assume that you want to setup HYPER-V Failover Clustering and you have only 2 Physical Network Interfaces in your HYPER-V Host but you want to apply Best Practises from Microsoft for Cluster Networks.
This means that you must separate the traffic for
- Management in HYPERV Host
- Virtual Machines
- Live Migration
- Cluster Hearbeat
You must have 5 Physical Network Cards in your HYPER-V Host? No you don't
In Windows Server 2012 you can create Virtual Network Adapters and pass specific traffic.
Let's try it.
- Open powershell as adminisrator
- Open Network Connections in your HYPER-V Host and decide which card you will see to create a virtual Switch.
- Except if you have alread create a NIC Teaming.
- Type the following command in Powershell to create the Virtual Switch with name Switch 1
New-VMSwitch "Switch 1" –NetAdapterName "Ethernet 2" –AllowManagementOS $false
- Open HYPER-V Manager.
- Go in the right side and click Virtual Switch Manager
- You can see the new Virtual Switch
- Now go back in powershell and type the following command to create the new Virtual Network Adapter.
- Let's assume that this adapter will use it only for the Management.
Add-VMNetworkAdapter –ManagementOS –Name "Mgmt" –SwitchName "Switch1"
- Now you must assign the specific Virtual Network Adapter in Vlan
Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName "Mgmt" -Access -VlanId 10
- It's ready. Go in Network Connections and you can see a new Network adapter as vEthernet (Mgmt).
- Give in the adapter the Ip address that you want to assign and you are ready.
- Let's now create a new Virual Adapter for the Live Migration traffic. When you want to transfer from one Cluster to another the Virtual Machine.
- Go back in powershell and type again the following commands to create the Virtual Adapter and set to the specific Vlan
Add-VMNetworkAdapter –ManagementOS –Name "LiveMigration" –SwitchName "Switch1"
Set-VMNetworkAdapterVlan -ManagementOS -VMNetworkAdapterName "Mgmt" -Access -VlanId 20
- You can go to assign Ip Address in the specific adapter and that's it.
- If you would like to verify that all the Virtual ANetwork Adapters assign in the appropriate Vlan type the following command in powershell
Get-VMNetworkAdapterVlan - ManagementOS *
This is a small part of what you can do in HYPER-V Failover Cluster Network to isolate traffic for better perfomance and security.
I will continue in next articles with other configuration for the HYPER-V Failover Clustering enviroment.
Have a nice weekend !!!
If you have use HYPER-V Failover Cluster write in our commented system all these that you want to share with other IT Pro