Installing HYPER-V Server Core it's not a difficult task. The difficult in Core Edition is the management because missing the Windows Graphical User Interface Environment.
With some practice in a Lab Environment you can achieve this task and be ready to install the HYPER-V Server Core in the Production Environment.
You can practice in your Lab without limitation because HYPER-V Server Core it's totally free.
As IT Pro will be ask why make my life difficult if i have the easy solution ?
The answer if must setup HYPER-V Server Core it depends of your requirements and the IT Policy that has as Department. It's not the only right solution but also it's not the wrong.
Of course HYPER-V Server Core has lot of advantages and some of then are:
- Reduce Attacks
- Reduce Resources
- Reduce Patching.
and more .......
If you have decide to go through with HYPER-V Server Core 2016 from here you how can start to configure it.
How to configure HYPER-V Server Core
After finish the installation of HYPER-V Server Core 2016 you will get the following screen.
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
- It prompts you to change the password of the Administrator
- Change it and click OK.
- Click OK again
- You will get a warning if you don't have enable any network adapter.Just Click OK
- Type sconfig to open the Server Configuration.
- The first thing that i will configure is the Network Settings
- Click the number 8.
- Type the number of the Network Adapter that you have to configure
- Type the number 1 to configure the network settings
- Type S for static because HYPER-V Server must has static ip address
- Type all the network details that need.
- Do the same for the DNS Settings which is in number 2
How to Join HYPER-V Server Core 2016 in a Domain
Today i will show you how can join in a Domain. But this means that you migrate the HYPER-V Server and already exist a Domain Controller in another HYPER-V Server. But it's a good idea in one of my next articles to write how can install HYPER-V Server Core from scratch.
- Type the number 1
- Type D to select the Domain
- Type the domain name to join
- Give the credentials of a domain administrator to join.
- After join it will request to do a restart.
- Now if you have another HYPER-V Server with GUI you can Add in HYPER-V Manager and start to create Virtual Machines.
As you see it's very easy to configure a HYPER-V Server Core 2016 with sconfig tool.
But it will be more difficult if this is the first HYPER-V Server and must do all the configuration until be ready to create Virtual Machine as Domain Controller and join to the domain.