MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) it's a great tool to reduce your time and automate your tasks as IT Pro. I use it a lot when i must upgrade our Windows OS or must deploy a new Windows Server.
I wrote lot of articles related with MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit). I have use lot of times MDT to capture an Image from Windows OS or Windows Server base on my the article How to Capture Windows Image using MDT 2013.
Today i come back to say that the recommended approach when you want to Install a new Windows OS it's to use a clean image with Task Sequence that will be install the common applications that use in your environment.
So i decide to write the following article and explain how can use this way instead of Capture.
Before start i would like to say that it's recommended to use a Virtual Machine for the Deployment as a test before proceed in your Production Workstations,Laptops or Servers.
Pluralsight Course Overview: Deploying Windows 10 Using MDT and ConfigMgr By Johan Arwidmark (MVP)
Import OS in MDT
First task is to import the Windows 10 in MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)
You can find full instructions how can do it in article Building a Custom Windows ISO with MDT 2013 but i would like write down here only the specific task.
Before start find the ISO of Windows 10. Right click in the iso and select Mount. You will use it in the next steps
- Open MDT
- Expand Deployment Shares - - MDT Deployment Share
- Right click in Operating Systems and select New Folder
- Type the Name of the new folder as you like. Click Next.
- Again Next and Finish
- In the new folder right click and select Import Operating System
- Select Full set of source files.Click Next
- Click Browse and find the Drive that created after mount the Windows 10 ISO in the beginning. Click Next
- Specify a name for the folder that will created. Click Next
- Just a Summary. Click Next.
- Wait until finish the Import and click Finish.
To proceed with this step we must decide first which application must include in the specific Deployment.
Also you must know to install an application through MDT must has the setup.exe or msi file of the Application.
You can't install an Application if you have only the exe file.
For example i have download the Foxit reader software which include the FoxitReader91_Setup_Prom_IS.exe. If i want to use it in my MDT i must extract the exe file with a zip software to find the setup file. The reason is that i must use the Command line in MDT to install the application.
This prerequisites that you can use the setup.exe file or msi file.
For this scenario i will use the following applications that will be included in Task Sequence for the Deployment
- Office Professional Plus
- Foxit Reader
- Right click in Applications and select New Application
- Select Application with source files.Click next.
- Write down the Publisher name and the Application Name. Click Next.
- Define the source directory that include the setup.exe file. Click Next.
- Specify a folder name that will be created for the application.
- Write down the command line that will use to install the application.Click Next
- The command line that will use is the same as when install an application from command line.
- As you can see in my setup.exe file i use it the silent switch
- You can find a reference for the switches that supported in setup.exe command line in the
- Just a summary of the necessary details. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Create the Task Sequence
It's time for the important task. Here we will specify how the deployment will proceed and which software will include for the installation
- Right click in Task Sequence
- Select new Task Sequence
- Type the Task sequence ID and Task Sequence Name as you prefer.
- Select Standard Client Task Sequence.Click Next
- Select the Operating System which imported before.
- Select Don't specify a Product Key at the time.
- Few days ago i receive an email from a reader that ask me why the Windows it's not activated after add the Product Key in customsettings.ini. You can use this option to add your Product Key to activate the Windows after finish the installation. Just remember that you must configure the Ip Settings and your Firewall to have access in the Internet after finish the installation to activate the Windows.
- .Write the optional details and click Next.
- I prefer to select Don't specify an Administrator Password at this time but it's your own Deployment and you can select whatever you want. Just to remember your Admin password after finish the installation
- A summary of the necessary details. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
How to Configure the Task Sequence
You have create the Task Sequence. But now you must configure the Task Sequence to add the Applications that you want to install
- Open the Task Sequence which created before
- Click in Task Sequences Tab
- Click in Install Applications.
- Select Install single application. Click Browse and find the Application that you have install previous. Click OK
- If you want to install another application click in Add from the Top Menu.
- Select General and Install Application.
- Click in Install Application that create
- Select Install single application. Click Browse and find any other Application that you Install . Click OK
After finish with the Task Sequence go in Deployment Shares with right click and select Update Deployment Share.
Use WDS to Deploy Windows 10
If you have install WDS in your environment you can read the How Deploy Windows image using MDT and WDS in Windows Server 2016 (Part 2) to proceed with the Deployment of Windows 10.
You must remember that must be update the Boot Image in WDS with the new one from MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) after finish with the above steps.
Use Offline Image to Deploy Windows 10
In case that you don't have a WDS in your environment you can configure an Offline Image in the MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) after read the article Create a bootable USB with MDT 2013
With WDS or Offline image i can see the progress of the Installing Application after finish the setup of Windows 10
Have a nice weekend !!!!