If you want to create and run Virtual Machines you must create a HYPER-V Environment before.
Base on the size of your company and workload you can select how will be install the HYPER-V.
If you already use HYPER-V and decide to move on then you must know that Windows Server 2016 has add great features in HYPER-V that i will describe most of them in next articles.
Today i would like to discuss and get part of this of how can install HYPER-V in Windows Server 2016.
So let's start.
Requirements for HYPER-V Deployment
Before start with the installation of HYPER-V in Windows Server 2016 it's good idea to check the requirements.
If you have read the requirements from Microsoft the only change is that SLAT which was optional in Windows Server 2012 in Windows Server 2016 is required.
So let's do a recap all the requirements
For the BIOS
- You must support and enable the following features:
- Hardware Virtualization Assisted
- Data Execution Prevention
- You must disable the following features for the BIOS
Disable C States (power management)
For the Physical Server
- At least 4 GB for the HYPER-V. Depends on the Virtual Machines that you will Host calculate the RAM that you need.
- A 64-bit processor with second-level address translation (SLAT)
- VM Monitor Mode extensions
To identify if your Physical Server met the requirements open the cmd or Powershell and type the following command.
After get the results go in the bottom and check the Hyper-v Requirements
After find out that met all the requirements we can start the instalaltion of HYPER-V
Because HYPER-V can install with different ways i would like to show all of them.
How to install HYPER-V Server 2016
Most of you are familiar with HYPER-V Role from Windows Server 2016. But find out that you can use only the HYPER-V Server as standalone installation.
Which are the difference of HYPER-V Standalone from HYPER-V Role?
- HYPER-V Server 2016 it's a free product and you can download from Microsoft Site. You don't need any license and you can use it for unlimited period.
- For Guest VM's there are no licenses and must buy the licenses for every Guest VM that you would like to install.
- HYPER-V Server 2016 has no GUI and must be work with CLI. For example to change computer name, join to the domain, setup a vm. You can use Powershell from cmd
Now that you have see all the difference let's start the installation
- Download HYPER-V Server from Microsoft Site
- Boot your ISO and start the installation
- Add your prefer language,Time and Keyboard and click Next
- Click Install Now
- Accept the licenses terms and click Next
- Select Custom:Install the newer version of HYPER-V only to do a clean installation
- Configure your partitions base on your requirements and click Next to start the installation.
- Wait until finish.
- When the installation finish you will get a cmd window only because no GUI exist
- From now on you need to start the configuration of your HYPER-V Core that will be discuss in the next article.
Installation Procedure from GUI
Now let's go to explain the most common installation type of HYPER-V as Role in Windows Server 2016
- Open Server Manager
- Click Manage - - Add Roles
- Click Next in the first Step
- Keep as it the selection of Role-based or feature-based installation. Click Next
- Verify the Server Name and click Next
- Check the HYPER-V Role
- Click in Add Features
- Click Next
- Click once again Next because you don't want to add any feature
- Now start the Wizard installation of HYPER-V Role. Click Next
- I recommend to do all the configuration after finish the installation. So don't change anything and click Next. If you read carefull the name of the Ethernet Adapter you will understand that this is a VM. I use Nested Virtualization which is one of the new feature of Windows Server 2016 that i will explain in another article.
- Click Next once again without change anything
- Keep the Default Stores for the Virtual Machines and click Next.
- Click Install and wait to finish.
When finish the Installation must be restart the Server. After that open Hyper-v Manager to start build your configuration and HYPER-V Enviroment.
You can find very useful articles in Virtualization Category
If you are using first time Hyper-v you can start with How to use HYPER-V Manager - Part 2
Installation Procedure from Powershell
One last installation of HYPER-V Role in Windows Server 2016 is from Powershell.
Of course the steps are few from installation with GUI.
So let's see how can install the HYPER-V Role from Powershell
- Open a Powershell
- Type the following command
Install-WindowsFeature -Name Hyper-V -IncludeManagementTools -Restart
Now you can select which installation method you prefer to do for the HYPER-V.
I hope to give you a valuable article and use it when you real need to find or learn something
Have a nice weekend !!