Microsoft delivery twice a year a new version of Windows 10 with new features. This is great but from the IT side when working in company with lot of users it's very difficult to keep up to date Windows 10 with the latest version.
MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) it's here to reduce the time for the Deployment and help IT Pro to follow a smoothly deployment procedure without be a pain.
In-Place upgrade of Windows 10 is another option to use for the Deployment instead to Deploy Windows 10 from scratch or clean install.
I am not fan of In-Place upgrade when the new version is very different from the old one. For example it's not a good idea to proceed with In-Place Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
But you can use in-place upgrade when you want to update the Windows 10 from older Version to newer Version.
Today i will explain how can use in place upgrade to upgrade from Windows 10 v.1903 to v.1909.
If you want to see more interesting staff from Johan Arwidmark (MVP) you can watch the following video in Pluralsight
>>> Deploying Windows 10 Using MDT and ConfigMgr By Johan Arwidmark (MVP) (affiliate link)
So let's start
- First of all you must download the new Windows 10 version form Microsoft Software Downlaod , Volume Licensing Service Center or any other Download option that use
- You must be care that if you download Windows 10 from Microsoft Software Download you have more work to do because to import in MDT you must have the install.wim file but here you have only install.esd.
- So you must create the install.wim from instal.esd
How to create install.wim from install.esd
If you have download Windows 10 Version from Volume License Center you don't need to follow this step.
If you have download Windows 10 from Microsoft Software download you must followi the instructions to be able add the OS in your MDT
- Mount the ISO file that you have downloaded.
- Copy/Paste all the files in a new folder on your PC
- Open cmd as Administrator.
- Follow the path that you have copy all the files from Windows 10 iso
- Run the following command to identify which version of Windows 10 you want and note the number that you will use it in the next command
DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:sources\install.esd
- Now run the following command to create the install.wim from install.esd.
- The SourceIndex has the number of the Windows 10 Version which found in the previous command
DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFile:sources\install.wim /compress:max /CheckIntegrity
Now the image is ready to imported in MDT
Import new Windows 10 version in MDT
You can find step by step instructions how to import Operating system in MDT from the following article (Find the paragraph Import OS in MDT)
How to create Task Sequence for in-place upgrade
Now it's time to create the Task Sequence that will use to proceed with In Place Upgrade
- Open MDT
- Expand Deployment Share
- Right click in Task Sequence - - New Task Sequence
- Type the ID and the Name that you prefer. Click Next
- Select Standard Client Upgrade Task Sequence. Click Next
- Select the Windows OS that you want to deploy. Click Next
- Select Don't specify product key at this time. Click Next
- Fill the Organization and click Next.
- Select Don't specify an Administrator password at this time. Click Next
- Here is a Summary of your settings
- Click Next and wait until Finish.
Now let's go to login in the PC that want to do the In-Place Upgrade.
- Login in the PC
- Click in Run and type the path of the Deployment Share from your MDT Server
- Go in the folder Scripts , find and run the LitetouchVBS.script
- The Deployment Wizard will be start.
- Click in Run the Deployment Wizard ....... button.
- Select the Task Sequence that you have create for the In Place Upgrade.
- Follow the Wizard base on your settings in the customsettings.ini file until Finish.
- Now wait to finish the upgrade
The In-Place Upgrade can be a very useful solution when you have lot of Workstations/Laptops and you want to be up to date.
It needs a very careful design and test before proceed with the production but it will takes only once.
Have a nice weekend !!!