Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) allow IT Administrators to remotely manage different Roles and Features in Windows Servers from your computer. Base on your Windows Servers and your OS in your PC you should download the right version of RSAT .
In previous articles i mention several times how can download Remote Server Administration Tools but I don't have explain how install and use it. Today I will explain the installation , how can enable Remote Server Administration Tools on Windows 10 and what has change from previous versions.
Let's Start !!
Let's explain how can download and install RSAT on Windows 10
- Download RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools) from the following link
- Start the Installation of WindowsTH-KB2693643-x64
- After while you will get a Windows. Click I Accept.
- You should Wait a few minutes until the installation finish.
- Then it will prompt you to restart the PC.
Login and with right click in Start select Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Click on Turn Windows Features On or Off from the left side .
- Scroll Down until you will find the Remote Server Administration Tools
- Expand it and select the Roles and Features that you want to manage remotely.
- Click OK to start the installation.
After the October 2018 Update the RSAT is native in Windows 10.
So if you need to install any of the RSAT then you should follow the steps
- Click Start -- Settings
- Click on Apps
- Select the Optional Features
- Click on Add a feature
- Scroll down and select any of the RSAT that you would like to install.
- Click on Install.
Most common scenario is to have a Windows Server to manage some or all the Roles from the other Servers in your environemnt. For example you have install Windows Servers without GUI as Failover Clusters. Then you can setup a Windows Server and install the Failover Cluster Tools to manage the Failover Cluster. However, you want to have the DNS Server Tools as well.
The following steps are the same for Windows Server 2012,2016 and 2019.
- Open the Server Manager and click on Add roles and features.
- Click Next on Welcome Screen
- Select Role-based or feature-based installation. Click Next.
- Select the Server that you want to install the RSAT. Click Next.
- Don't change anything in the Server Roles and click Next.
- Scroll down to find and expand the Remote Server Administration Tools.
- Expand the Feature Administration Tools or Role Administration Tools to find and check the tool that you want to install.
- Let's say that we want the DNS Server Tools. Expand the Role Administration Tools and check it. Click Next.
- Click Install. Wait to finish.
Roles and Features that Removed in Remote Server Administration Tools from Windows 10
Additionally, you should know that RSAT for Windows 10 CANNOT manage anymore :
- DHCP Tools. Dhcpmgmt.msc is not available in this release of RSAT, but equivalent Windows PowerShell cmdlets are available.
- IP Address Management (IPAM). IPAM tools are not available in this release of RSAT.
- Network Policy Server Tools. The NPS console is not supported on a Windows client-based operating system, and will be removed from future releases of RSAT.
- Routing and Remote Access Tools. Routing and Remote Access Tools that are GUI-based cannot be used for remote configuration in this release of RSAT, but the equivalent Windows PowerShell cmdlets are available.
I hope to found valuable info in this article. See you Next Friday.
Are you using Remote Server Administration Tools? Do you have any question related to RSAT?