How many times you have use MDT to automate your Deployment of Windows OS but every time you must to manual proceed with the Windows Updates after every deployment.
Maybe you have deploy a WSUS in your environment to send the Windows Updates in your Server or Workstations.
But again you need to move into the appropriate Organization Unit in the Active Directory and update the Group Policy in the Workstation.
One of the biggest issue that preventing to full automate the Deployment is the Window Updates
I wrote multiples articles for the specific subject and you can read it any time that you want
At the end every time i have to face the same problem HOW TO KEEP MY WINDOWS IMAGE UP TO DATE every time that must Deploy it.
Today i will explain how can use MDT (Microsoft Deployment Toolkit) with WSUS and WDS to keep our Deployments up to date while automate the process
If you already use MDT and WSUS with WDS then start from the How to configure the Task Sequence in MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)
How to Install the MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)
In case that you don't have configure your MDT and is the first time here you can start with the Building a Custom Windows ISO with MDT 2013
How to install the WSUS with WDS
If you don't have WSUS and WDS then you can read the following articles to proceed with the installation and configuration
How to configure the Task Sequence in MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)
In order to install the Windows Updates from WSUS you must do some changes in the Task Sequence for your deployment.
- So Expand the Task Sequences
- Select the Task Sequence that you want to change and with right click select Properties.
- Click in Task Sequence Tab
- Expand the State Restore
- Select the Windows Update (Pre-Application installation)
- From the right side select the Tab Options
- Uncheck the Disable this Step
Because we must Join the Workstation or Server in the Domain and Move it in the Organization Unit that you have create and include all the Computers which will receive Windows Updates from WSUS the Deployment mustn't capture the image after the Deployment.
- For this reason in the same TaskSequence click in Imaging
- Click in the Tab options
- Check the Disable this Step
- If you don't disable the Imaging after finish the Deployment you will get the following error
How to configure the CustomSettings.ini in the MDT(Microsoft Deployment Toolkit)
Before proceed with the Deployment we must do a few changes in the Customsettings.ini.
- Right click in the MDT Deployment Share and select Properties
- Click in the Tab Rues
- To avoid the Steps of Capture through the Deployment Steps add the following lines
- If you want to download and install the Windows Updates from your WSUS though the Deployment you must move the Computer in the appropriate Organization Unit that you have create in your Active Directory and use it to apply the Group Policies of WSUS.
- So for this reason you can use the following line to enable the option in the Deployment Wizard to select in which Organization Unit you can move the Computer after Join in the Domain
- DomainOUS1= OU=Windows Server 2016,OU=PG Site,OU=PG,DC=askme4tech,DC=com
- Now add the following line and change it accordingly to give your WSUS Server
- Click OK
- Right Click in the MDT Deployment Share and select Update Deployment
How to update the Windows Image in the WDS
After finish the Update Deployment you must update the Image with the new settings in the WDS.
- You must open the WDS go in the Boot Images.
- From the right side find the Image Name , right click and select Replace Image.
- Browse and find the Image from the MDT.
- Usually the image located in Deploymentshare\Boot.
- Wait until replace the Image with the new settings
Which steps must follow through the Deployment Wizard
Finally it's time to start the Deployment.
- Prepare your VM or your Physical Workstation.
- Configure it to boot from the Network
- While all is ok and boot from Network, find the WDS the Deployment Wizard will start soon
- As you can see in the first step you must select the Task Sequence that you want to proceed.
- Also from the left side included only the steps that you have configure in CustomSettings.ini
- Select the Task Sequence and click Next
- Here you will see a new option that maybe you don't have see it again.
- Type the computer name
- Click in Join a domain.
- Click in arrow and select the Organization Unit that you have configure it in Customsettings.ini from the above steps
- Type all the info that need to join in the Domain and click Next
- It's a usual step to select your Time Zone. Click Next .
- Click Begin to start the Deployment
- It's obvious that it will take more time to finish because must proceed with the installation of all the Windows Updates from WSUS
- While proceed with the Deployment you will see the installation of the Windows Updates.
- Or when the deployment finish you can go in the Windows Updates History to verify it.
Final with this way you can full automate the Deployment without need every time to do manual job and update your Images in the MDT.
I hope to give a valuable resource to automate your process and reduce the time for your Deployments
Until next article Have a nice weekend !!!